Okay, it’s totally fall. The air is crisp, there’s been some rain, and I’m okay with wearing things with sleeves. I’m actually getting excited – I do like fall (it’s my birthday season, and Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays) – so the other day I pulled out a bunch of patterns and fabrics from the stash and laid out my fall sewing plans:
Oh boy. Yes, that is nine projects. Many of them are things I intended to make last year, but winter and spring came too fast and I abandoned them into the stash. But this year I’m thinking ahead (um, if early October is ahead… luckily the weather here is basically fall-like until January), and I’m going to take a stab at making all this stuff! So clockwise from top left we have:
- Butterick 5454 in a brown border print slinky-y jersey from Mood in LA. I actually bought this fabric with a DVF wrap dress style in mind, but no particular pattern. I attached this pattern to it last winter, but never got around to it. I think it’ll be a great work dress… I hope I have enough fabric!
- Simplicity 2497 in green poly shantung from JoAnn, currently in progress and the cause of the furry foot yesterday. I wasn’t going to make this the first project, but I realised a few days ago that I have a dressy work event on Saturday (as in the day-after-tomorrow!) that it would be good for… we’ll see if I can get it done; I’m about halfway now but waiting for disaster to strike.
- McCall’s 5927 in awesome red and gray plaid from The Sew Weekly‘s Mena. I’m less excited about the pattern than the fabric; I’m still not sure if this sheath dress is what it wants to become.
- Simplicity 2343 in brown stretch twill. Pencil skirt with pockets; need I say more?
- Simplicity 2447 in turquoise/orange plaid from fabric.com. I got this fabric too late last year to make this shirt – it’s such a fall item to me. I’m hoping to have it done by Halloween so I can go as Liz Lemon.
- Colette Beignet in orange denim from JoAnn. I was going to make the Beignet in the brown twill, but I’ve seen so many great bright colored versions of this skirt and I wanted to give it a try, and I bought this orange fabric on a whim the other day (they get you with those 50% off coupons!). I hope the buttonholes aren’t too impossible on the thick fabric.
- McCall’s 6035 in green poplin with a cool woven dot pattern. Having been assured by my mom that button-up shirts are “easy”, I’m going to give it a try with this basic pattern.
- Simplicity 2443 (jacket) in gray baby corduroy. This will be my first attempt at a jacket; we’ll see if all the little fiddly bits make me go crazy. I like this style (lightweight, cropped length/sleeves) for fall.
- Simplicity 2758 in wool plaid with navy lining. I got this fabric to make a circle skirt last fall, but again didn’t get around to it. I’m going to make it now, though, for sure – I hope these full plaid skirts are still in style!
Whew! So that’s what I’ve got so far. As far as project order, the jacket and the skirts are highest on the list, but I’m just going to see what I feel like doing next after I finish one. I’ve got a few more patterns that don’t have fabric and vice versa floating around, but I’m going to try to get these things done so they don’t languish in the stash until next fall! We’ll see how I do – right now I’ve got 1 or 2 hours a night plus Mondays for sewing, but my work schedule will lighten up a bit around Thanksgiving. But by then I’ll want to be doing winter sewing!